Additional Student Service Offices

Continuing Education (CE) Student Information

Adult students are subject to and supported by all of the academic and student life policies, except as otherwise indicated, and all students should familiarize themselves with these policies. 

Financial Assistance

Financial aid is available to qualified CE students in the form of scholarships, loans, grants and part-time work through federal, state and institutional funding. Students who need assistance in meeting College expenses are urged to contact the Office of Financial Aid (336.316.2354 or who will assist them with completing all necessary forms to apply for the various available funds. All CE students are assigned to a specific financial aid counselor and are expected to meet their counselor to ensure all financial aid paperwork is complete. Located on the ground floor of New Garden Hall, the Financial Aid Office is open from Monday through Friday from 8:00am-5:00pm.

International Student Information

This section contains information that is particularly relevant to international students. While this section is important, international students need to become familiar with the materials and important information contained throughout this Guilford College Student Handbook. For additional information, contact the campus international student advisor located in Hege Library (336.316.2125).


The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is an online database implemented by the U.S. government in January of 2003. The system enables the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to maintain updated biographical and programmatic information on F-1 students living in the United States. SEVIS tracks all exits and entries to the United States of F-1 students.

The following types of information are tracked in SEVIS:

  • Arrival at Guilford and ongoing program participation
  • Name and address changes
  • Change of field of study
  • Program end dates including extensions and early terminations
  • Practical training and other off-campus employment requests

The international student advisor is required to register all F-1 visa-holding students in SEVIS at the beginning of each semester. Students must report to the international student advisor at the beginning of each semester to confirm class registration and attendance at the College. The international student advisor will contact students to remind them of this responsibility and to schedule times to meet.

Maintaining Your Student Status

As an international student you must maintain your F-1 student status while studying in the United States. To maintain your student status you must:

  • Report to the international student advisor at the beginning of each semester.
  • Maintain a full course of study (at least 12 credit hours per semester). An exception is made for those seniors who need less than 12 credits to graduate during their final semester.
  • Not work off-campus without prior approval of immigration and the international student advisor. Students are not eligible for such approval during the first academic year.
  • Attend the school on whose I-20 you entered the United States, unless you transfer to another school.
  • Complete your degree within the time limit as specified on your initial I-20. Should you require additional time, you must apply for an extension or you will be considered out of status.
  • Have the back of your I-20 endorsed by the International Student Advisor to allow you to reenter the U.S. after leaving the country.
  • Keep your passport valid at all times.

*Failure to maintain status can result in deportation with the termination of your I-20 and visa*

Your Passport

Keep your passport in a safe place. It is your most important document. The passport must be valid at least six months into the future while you are enrolled as a student. It is your responsibility to know when your passport will expire and to contact your home country's nearest Consulate or Embassy for renewal.

Your I-20

This I-20 serves as your international student identification document while on the F-1 visa and must be carried at all times. You must keep all copies of the I-20 issued to you. When leaving the United States, you must get the international student advisor’s signature on page three of the document to reenter. Any additional benefits obtained through the Department of Homeland Security are recorded on this I-20.

Your Visa

The visa affixed in your passport at the U.S. Consulate gives you permission to enter for a specific purpose and period of time. It is important to note that the possession of a student visa does not guarantee your entrance into the USA. As the visa is important only for entry and reentry into the United States, you need not worry if it expires while you are in the U.S.; you only need to worry about maintaining your I-20 status. Should you leave the USA, and your visa is expired, you must get a new visa to reenter the United States. If your visa has expired and you plan to travel outside of the United States, please contact the international student advisor. Visas cannot be renewed within the United States.

Your I-94 Card

The US Customs and Border Protection Agency has recently transitioned to an electronic I-94 document system. This means you will not receive a physical I-94 card document upon arrival to the USA. However, should you receive a form I-94 card, it will be a paper card attached to your passport. The I-94 document officially determines how long you can remain in the United States. Most F-1 visa holders have their I-94 stamped "D/S" (Duration of Status) indicating that the student can remain to complete studies as long as they maintain student status with an active I-20. Should you have questions about the I-94 document, contact the international student advisor.


If you are in the United States on an F-1 visa, you are expected to have sufficient funds so that you will not have to work. With approval of the international student advisor, you may work on campus as long as it does not interfere with your academic work. You may not work more than 20 hours per week when College is in session. You can work full-time during holidays and summer vacation. You cannot work off-campus without permission from the Immigration Service and a recommendation from the international student advisor. Under extreme circumstances, you are eligible for employment based on economic hardship. This program requires an application procedure. Please check with the international student advisor regarding all employment questions.

Practical Training

You are eligible for up to 12 months of optional practical training (OPT) or critical practical training (CPT). Such training must be directly related to your College major. Training can be part-time (20 hours a week) if done prior to graduation (designated as curricular practical training and includes internships) or full-time during the summer and upon completion of your degree. Check with the international student advisor for details.

Vacation Periods and Temporary Departures from the United States

After completing your first academic year (two consecutive semesters), you are eligible to take vacation breaks while remaining in the United States. When temporarily leaving the United States, you must have your I-20 endorsed by the international student advisor.

Transferring to Another College

If you are an F-1 student and have maintained valid legal status and full-time study, you are eligible to transfer if you intend to pursue full-time study elsewhere and are financially able to attend the new College. See the international student advisor if you plan to transfer.

Your International Student File

Immigration regulations require the International Office to maintain records on all international students attending the College. Therefore you must maintain regular contact with the international student advisor and update your file when changes are made, such as renewal of a passport, visa, time and point of reentry, change of major or a change of address.

College Closings

You should be aware that at the present time residence halls are closed during the semester break December-January for all students. If you are without resources or a place to stay during these times, please contact the international student advisor.

Counseling Center

The Counseling Center (336.316.2163) is staffed by professional psychotherapists and are available to talk about issues such as relationships, depression, anxiety, substance abuse/addictions, or negative behaviors which are causing you pain (such as cutting, procrastinating, or obsessive-compulsive behaviors). While there is no rigid limit on the number of sessions available to you, the length of your particular counseling will depend on many factors. When you meet with your therapist, you will decide together what makes sense for you, based on your needs and what we are able to offer. Many concerns can be addressed in relatively short-term counseling at the Counseling Center; however, If you would like to pursue longer-term therapy or need specialized treatment, the counselor will assist you in finding a therapist off-campus. The Counseling Center is located in the Milner Student Health and Counseling Center. The hours are 8:30am-5pm Monday-Friday. In the event of an after-hours emergency, please call Public Safety at 336.316.2909. Public Safety is able to contact the staff member on duty when necessary. To make an appointment, please call 336.316.2163 or email Susan Smith at The services are free of charge and confidentiality is carefully observed.

Accessibility Resources

Accessibility Resources (336.316.2837) consists of the Director and Assistant Director who facilitate disclosing disabilities and arranging reasonable ADA accommodations. In order to disclose, see the College’s disability policies and procedures at the following link: Americans with Disabilities Act: Disclosure and Request for Reasonable Accommodation(s). Hours are 8:30am-5pm Monday-Friday and the office is located in the Hege Library.

For more information, including the semester’s tutoring schedule, please see the Learning Commons web page (

Public Safety

The Public Safety office (336.316.2909) is located in the lower level of the Bauman Telecommunications Center. The department provides 24-hour service that safeguards the College's population, facilities and property. It is staffed by professional personnel. The College encourages the active involvement of all community members in keeping the campus a safe and secure environment for education. Office hours: Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm. The phone number to reach Public Safety is 336.316.2909 or email For emergencies call 911.

Blue Light Telephones 

The blue light telephone network exists for the purposes of the safety and convenience of the Guilford community. Phone locations are marked by a blue light above the phone. In an emergency, callers can press the red button to automatically dial the on-duty public safety officers. Once the button is pushed, the Public Safety officers will be able to communicate with the caller. Callers are asked to stay by the box and talk to officers unless their safety is at risk. The locations of blue lights on campus are:

  • Lower South Apartment Parking Lot
  • Binford / Hendricks Hall Parking Lot
  • Bryan Parking Lot

Off-Campus Emergency 911

In addition to the 24-hour availability of Public Safety Office staff members, there is a Student Affairs staff person on call 24 hours a day. In a crisis, you may contact the Student Affairs staff person on call by calling Public Safety at 336.316.2909 to report a problem. The Public Safety officer will contact the on-call Student Affairs professional, as needed.

For students living in residence halls, apartments, or houses on campus, RAs are on duty nightly in Bryan, Milner, the small halls and alternative houses, and the apartments. Duty schedules are posted outside each RA and Community Director's apartment door.

Student Health Services 

Eagle Physicians (1210 New Garden Road, 336.294.6190) is the sole provider of the College’s student health services for traditional students. Their office is located adjacent to campus and easily accessible by way of the sidewalk along New Garden Road. Traditional students may go to Eagle and be seen for many illnesses at no charge. A list of these services may be found on the Student Health webpage.

Eagle will accept many insurance plans (including Guilford’s student health insurance through United Healthcare) for treatment of more complicated issues and for medical tests not included in the list of covered services. Some of these services will require an appointment. Students going to be seen at Eagle will need to present their Guilford College ID and a copy of their insurance card at check-in. It is also important that students have means (credit/debit/cash) to pay their co-pay or any charges that may be incurred due to an illness or testing not covered by our agreement with Eagle Physicians. 

Traditional students will have ready access to board-certified physicians, as well as extended clinic hours. Eagle Physicians will provide services by appointment (unless serious or acute illness/symptoms) from 8am-5pm weekdays. Eagle After Hours Care (same location) will see students on a walk in basis from:

  • 5:30pm-8:45pm Monday–Friday
  • 9am-5:45 pm on Saturday and Sundays

More information about Eagle Physicians can be found on their website:

The College maintains a Student Health Services office located on campus in the Milner Student Health and Counseling Center. While no medical care is available there, this office maintains required immunization records and a staff member is available to assist students and parents with questions and support.

The on-campus Student Health Services office also maintains immunization compliance for CE/adult students. Adult students may call 336.316.2163 for questions and assistance related to NC State immunization law requirements and compliance. The College does not offer medical care to CE students.

After hours, contact your Residential Assistant (RA) or Public Safety for emergency procedures. There are two hospitals with emergency facilities available: Wesley Long Hospital (336.832.1000) and Moses Cone Hospital (336.832.7000). In a true emergency requiring immediate assistance, call 911.