Use of Preferred Name Policy

Guilford College recognizes that, as a community, many of its members use names other than their legal names to identify themselves. As long as the use of preferred name is not for purposes of misrepresentation, the College will use a student’s preferred first name whenever possible in the course of College business, except where the use of the legal name is necessitated by a legal requirement.

Legal name may appear on documents, including but not limited to: hiring paperwork, paychecks, accounts payable checks, student billing, financial aid forms, tax forms, official College transcripts, official diplomas, and any other documents required by law. Legal names can only be changed on these records when students pursue a legal name change with their home state and/or federal authorities and then submit that documentation to the College Registrar.

Students may contact the College Registrar to record or change the preferred name associated with their records and across various College systems: or 336.316.2121.