Academic Regulations


FERPA is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. It provides students (or parents of dependent students) the following rights:

  • The right to inspect and review the student’s education records maintained by the school.
  • The right to request that a school corrects records the student or parent believes to be incorrect. If the school does not elect to revise the student record, the parent or student may request a formal hearing.
  • The right to prevent the school from disclosing information from a student’s education record, with specific exceptions.
    • These exceptions allow school officials access to students’ education records if such access is due to legitimate educational interest, such as in teaching, advising, educational support, financial aid, or institutional research.

Guilford College may release grades and academic progress information to parents and/or legal guardians if a student provides written consent to the Registrar’s Office or if either parent has claimed the student as a dependent on the parent’s most recent income tax statement. Students may provide written consent by submitting a FERPA Disclosure & Consent Form to the Registrar’s Office.

Guilford College may release financial aid and student accounts information to parents and/or legal guardians if a student provides written consent to the Registrar’s Office, has designated parents and/or legal guardians as Authorized Users on TouchNet, or if either parent has claimed the student as a dependent on the parent’s most recent income tax statement. Students may provide written consent by submitting a FERPA Disclosure & Consent Form to the Registrar’s Office (pdf of Catalog. 149-150)

b. Title IX

Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (“Title IX”) prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in any educational programs or activities that receive federal funding, whether they take place in the facilities of a school or at an event sponsored by the school at another location. While perhaps best known for its application to program equity, such as in athletics, Title IX also applies to sexual harassment (including sexual assault) that prevents students from participating fully and equitably in educational opportunities. Guilford College is committed to upholding the principles of Title IX by responding promptly and thoroughly to all complaints/reports of sex discrimination, harassment or violence.

c. Student with Disability/ARC


1. Any student seeking ADA accommodation(s) due to a documented disability must complete the ARC Registration Agreement form. This form can be located on the ARC website.

2. Students can submit the ARC Registration Agreement form along with the current appropriate disability-related documentation to the Director of the Accessibility Resource Center (ARC), Guilford College, 5800 W. Friendly Ave., Greensboro, NC 27410. Faxes may be sent to 336-316-2946. Disability documentation, relevant email correspondence, and questions regarding accommodation and services may also be sent to

3. Once the ARC Registration Agreement form and the necessary disability-related documentation are received by the ARC, students will need to schedule an intake interview appointment to meet with the Director or Assistant Director. This meeting is designed to develop their individual academic accommodation plan and needs in order to determine what are deemed reasonable and appropriate academic accommodations and adjustments.

4. Once the intake appointment is complete and an individual academic accommodation plan is assigned by the ARC Director(s), students will need to communicate in person or in writing with the Director or the Assistant Director to complete their individual accommodation letter request. This is not an automatic process, and therefore, students will need to request a new academic individual accommodation letter request each term they wish to receive their academic and/or classroom accommodation needs for their enrolled course(s).

5. The Director or Assistant Director will provide the student and their requested professor(s) an electronic copy of their individual accommodation letter request. Students are responsible for communicating and negotiating with each professor about their individual academic accommodations and/or classroom needs.

6. The Directors strongly recommended that students discuss their accommodations and individual needs with their advisor and/or other College personnel, where appropriate, so that appropriate course, campus recommendations and/or referrals may be made.

d. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

In accordance with federal regulations, all recipients of federal financial aid must maintain a satisfactory rate of progress toward the completion of a degree (i.e. pace) and must be in good standing based on a cumulative grade point average (GPA), regardless of whether financial aid was received previously. A Guilford College student is maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) towards the completion of a degree if he/she is meeting standards according to the measurements listed below. Students are evaluated annually at the end of the spring semester to determine if they are meeting these requirements.

The following definitions apply to this policy:

  • Financial Aid Programs: All federal programs to include loans, grants and work study, NC State grant programs, outside programs offered from other states and private organizations and institutional aid.
  • Earned and Attempted Credit Hours: Satisfactory Academic Progress uses credit hours to measure both the pace and maximum timeframe requirement. It is important to understand the difference between the two types of credit hours.       
    • “Earned” credit hours are courses in which the student receives a letter grade of “D” or higher or “CR” in a Pass/Fail course.
    • “Attempted” credits are courses in which the student enrolls and remains enrolled after the add/drop period of each semester – even if the student later withdraws or fails the course.  Courses dropped during the drop/add period defined by the college at the beginning of each term are not counted as attempted hours.
  • Pace Requirement: Both undergraduate and graduate students must earn at least 67% (no rounding up) of the credits attempted each semester. A full-time student who attempts 16 credits in a semester must successfully complete 10.72 credits to maintain their pace requirement (16 credits x .67 = 10.72 credits).  
  • Maximum Time Frame: The maximum period in which students may receive financial aid based on the degree program in which they are enrolled. Students have a maximum period of 150% of the credits required to complete the program to remain eligible.      
    • Bachelor degree program that requires 128 credits to graduate will have a total of 190 attempted credits allowed, not to exceed six calendar years from the beginning of the initial semester including periods of non-enrollment.
    • Graduate degree program that requires 40 credits to graduate will have a total of 60 attempted credits allowed, not to exceed 4 calendar years from the beginning of the initial semester including periods of non-enrollment.
    • There are limited appeals or extensions of the 150% maximum time frame rule. Students may continue to receive limited federal financial aid assistance and will also be able to apply for private loan funding or participate in a tuition payment plan for their educational expenses.
  • Cumulative Grade Point Average: The grade point average calculated at Guilford from all credits taken.      
    • For undergraduate students they must meet the following:         
      • The required minimum cumulative GPA requirement is 1.6 for students who have earned 53 credits or less.
      • The required minimum cumulative GPA requirement is 1.8 for students that have earned 54 to 86 credits.
      • The required minimum cumulative GPA requirement is 2.0 for students that have eared 87 credits or more.
    • For graduate students they must meet the following:         
      • A cumulative GPA of 3.0 must be maintained.

SAP Review Process

  • Frequency: Satisfactory Academic Progress will be evaluated at the end of the spring term regardless of whether the student received financial aid in that enrollment period. Students not meeting SAP requirements will be notified by letter and an email sent to their Guilford College account. If a student fails to meet SAP, they will immediately be placed on financial aid suspension.
  • Financial Aid Suspension: Suspension of financial aid eligibility occurs the semester immediately following the spring review period. Under suspension, a student is not eligible for federal and state financial aid. In addition, students will lose their eligibility for Guilford College scholarship or grant aid.   Students have two options to reestablish their federal and state financial aid eligibility.     
    • These options are:         
  • Maximum Time Frame Suspension: Any student who has exceeded the maximum time frame requirements for the appropriate degree program will be placed on a maximum time Financial Aid suspension. Students in this group will be required to appeal and provide the Office of Financial Aid with an academic plan that has been approved by their Faculty Advisor. The academic plan must be followed as prescribed and will be reviewed at the end of each semester until graduation from Guilford College. Students will not be permitted to receive institutional grants or scholarship unless approved through the Office of Financial Aid in conjunction with the institutional scholarship or grant provider’s approval. In most cases, aid will be limited to federal financial aid only.
  • Notification: Letters explaining the SAP status along with instructions on the appeal process will be mailed to the student’s permanent home address on file with Guilford College. It is recommended that students keep their permanent home address up to date with the Registrar’s Office. Email notifications to the student’s Guilford College email account will also be sent.

SAP Appeal Process

Students are permitted to appeal their financial aid suspension; however, the right to appeal must be based on extraordinary, personal circumstances that contributed to the student’s inability to meet the SAP requirements. If the initial appeal is approved, appeals for future semesters must be based on a different circumstance as the student’s previous appeal. Acceptable circumstances include:

  • The death of an immediate family member or close relative (i.e. mother, father, grandparent, sibling or immediate family such as a related aunt or uncle)
  • A serious injury or illness (physical or mental) of the student which required medical intervention
  • Significant, unanticipated family obligations due to medical issue or illness
  • A catastrophic loss due to fire, flood or natural disaster that affects the student’s academic attendance or performance

The appeal of a financial aid suspension is a separate process from an appeal of academic suspension. The two processes are not related and approval of an academic suspension does not automatically remove the suspension from financial aid. 

Students who wish to appeal must complete and submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form together with all required documents. The Office of Financial Aid reserves final authority in SAP appeal decisions. If the appeal is approved, the student will be placed on financial aid probation. SAP appeal forms received without appropriate supporting documentation, or appeals that contain or reveal conflicting information, will be not be reviewed until either all documentation is received or the conflicting information is resolved.

SAP Appeals should be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid either by mail, fax, scanned and emailed or in person to:

Guilford College
5800 West Friendly Avenue
Greensboro, NC 27410

  • SAP Appeal Notification: The student will be notified by email to their Guilford College email account.
  • If the Appeal is Approved: Aid is continued for one term     
    • The student should carefully review the SAP appeal notification which will outline the unique, individualized SAP requirements that the student must meet in order to maintain eligibility for federal and state financial aid. It is possible that the student will still lose their eligibility for Guilford College scholarships or grants depending on the requirements of those programs.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

e. Credit By Exam

Guilford College awards credit for Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and CLEP examinations. Students may receive academic credit for up to a total of 32 credits for those examinations that correspond to courses in the Guilford curriculum. Credit is awarded for AP scores of four or five, IB scores of four through seven on the Higher Level tests, and CLEP subject exam scores of 55 or higher (p. 164)

f. Transfer Credit

Guilford College accepts for transfer credit undergraduate courses from regionally accredited institutions, as long as the following criteria are met:

  • The grade earned is C- or higher
  • The course is similar to an existing Guilford course or otherwise compatible with Guilford’s curriculum

Courses to be applied to major, minor and general education requirements at Guilford must be approved by the appropriate chairperson, following the learning outcomes, course descriptions, and syllabi for both the proposed transfer course and the corresponding Guilford course or curriculum. The final evaluation of transfer of credits is approved by the registrar. All transferred credits will be listed on a student’s Guilford transcript. Only credits are transferred, not grades.

There is no maximum on the number of credits transferred from regionally accredited four-year institutions. A maximum of 64 credits total may be transferred from regionally accredited two-year institutions. Guilford does not award academic credit for courses completed at nonaccredited educational institutions, for work taken on a non-credit basis, for job-related experience, or for non-academic experiential learning (p. 154).

g. Credit Overloads

No student may be registered to take more than four credits of coursework in any three-week session. Students can consult with the Associate Academic Deans for permission to combine coursework at other institutions with an experience in the three-week session.

Students must submit a petition to the registrar requesting permission to overload under the following circumstances:

the student wishes to take more than

  • 14 credits in a twelve-week session
  • 6 credits in summer school
  • 12 credits during the 10-weeks summer term
  • 8 credits during a five weeks summer term           

Please note that no overload petitions for the 12-week session will be approved without students being registered for a course in the corresponding 3-week session.