Students with Disabilities

Guilford College does not discriminate on the basis of sex/gender, age, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, genetic information, military status, veteran status, or any other protected category under applicable local, state or federal law, ordinance or regulation. The prohibition on discrimination applies to any and all educational program or activities that Guilford College operates, including but not limited to admissions policies; educational programs; scholarships, loans, and other financial aid; and athletic and other school-administered programs, services, and activities. Educational opportunities will not be denied to an otherwise qualified applicant or student because of the need to make reasonable accommodation(s) or modification(s) for the physical or mental impairments of any such individual.

Although this policy and procedure is largely described in terms of accommodation(s) that may allow an applicant or student with a disability to meet the academic standards requisite to admission or participation in education programs, activities and services, the policy is also applicable to accommodation(s) involving the application process and to accommodation(s) that would enable an applicant or student with a disability to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of education as are enjoyed by other similarly situated applicants or students without disabilities.

The procedures contained herein are not exclusive of other education-related inquiries that the College, in its discretion, may make as permitted or required by local, state or federal law and in conformance with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. To disclose a documented disability that impacts the learning environment, such as any learning and psychological/psychiatric disabilities, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), speech, hearing, chronic and/or Other Health Impairments (OHI), students must first self-identify with the office and complete an interactive intake interview process. Students also have the right to disclose the nature of their disability and choose not to request accommodations.


1. Any student seeking ADA accommodation(s) due to a documented disability must complete the ARC Registration Agreement form. This form can be located on the ARC website.

2. Students can submit the ARC Registration Agreement form along with the current appropriate disability-related documentation to the Director of the Accessibility Resource Center (ARC), Guilford College, 5800 W. Friendly Ave., Greensboro, NC 27410. Faxes may be sent to 336-316-2946. Disability documentation, relevant email correspondence, and questions regarding accommodation and services may also be sent to

3. Once the ARC Registration Agreement form and the necessary disability-related documentation are received by the ARC, students will need to schedule an intake interview appointment to meet with the Director or Assistant Director. This meeting is designed to develop their individual academic accommodation plan and needs in order to determine what are deemed a reasonable and appropriate academic accommodations and adjustments.

4. Once the intake appointment is complete and an individual academic accommodation plan is assigned by the ARC Director(s), students will need to communicate in person or in writing with the Director or the Assistant Director to complete their individual accommodation letter request. This is not an automatic process, and therefore, students

will need to request a new academic individual accommodation letter request each term they wish to receive their academic and/or classroom accommodation needs for their enrolled course(s).

5. The Director or Assistant Director will provide the student and their requested professor(s) an electronic copy of their individual accommodation letter request. Students are responsible for communicating and negotiating with each professor of their individual academic accommodations and/or classroom needs with those professors.

6. The Directors strongly recommended that students discuss their accommodations and individual needs with his or her advisor and/or other College personnel, where appropriate, so that appropriate course, campus recommendations and/or referrals may be made.

7. Should you have any questions, please contact the Accessibility Resource Center (ARC), Guilford College, 5800 W. Friendly Ave., Greensboro, NC 27410 or by phone (336) 316-2837.