Sociology Minor

Thomas Guthrie, Department of Sociology and Anthropology

The Department of Sociology and Anthropology promotes the study of society and culture. Since people live every aspect of life within a complex socio-cultural environment, it is possible to develop the self fully only with extensive knowledge of that environment. Both disciplines focus on the ubiquitous processes of social organization and the ways in which human knowledge, behavior and institutions are socially and culturally influenced. Sociology at Guilford includes an added focus on structural analysis of the institutionalization of values that contribute to social problems such as violence, racism, sexism, class stratification and intolerance generally in organizations.

The minor in sociology is not available to sociology/anthropology majors.


Minor Requirements

The minor requires a minimum of four courses and 14 credits. 

SOAN 100Introduction to Sociology4
Select one elective in sociology at the 200 level from the following: 4
Race and Ethnicity in Latin America
Special Topics 1
Racial and Ethnic Relations
Race and Gender in Media Focus
Select two electives in sociology at the 300 level from the following:8
Sociology of Sex and Gender
Gender Health and Illness
Latinx Migration Patterns
Social Research Methods
Social Theory
Special Topics 1
Popular Culture and Media Studies
SOAN 430Inequality in Latin America4
Total = Minimum of 14 Credits

Internships and independent studies cannot count toward the minor.

Minimum credit hours required for sociology minor is 14 credits, although most students will earn more than 14 credits to complete the four courses required in the minor. 

Note: Only certain SOAN special topic courses can count toward the sociology minor; check course listings and syllabi to make sure.

Internships and independent studies cannot count toward the minor.

A student interested in taking a 400-level anthropology course must receive permission from both the instructor and department chair; if the course is successfully completed, it may then count for one of the 300-level elective requirements.

Credit for courses taken at other institutions or while studying abroad: Before attending other institutions, students should obtain a “Request to Take Coursework at Another Institution” form from the registrar’s office and have their courses approved in writing by the SOAN department chair. Departmental approval to take a course off campus is contingent upon the content and evaluation requirements of the course (which should meet SOAN departmental standards), whether the course is regularly offered by the SOAN department, the student’s academic standing and level, and the extent to which the course is consistent with the student’s educational goals.